TypeI: ProjectI: Process & Third Critique

This time, I felt that I wasn’t lost. But I came out learning that everything I did this time was wrong.

First, to talk about the process. I tried the black background, because I thought flipping the negative and the positive spaces, might help me see the letters better. I thought that I needed a change in seeing the shapes of the letter forms.

I started dragging ideas from the two previous works I had created, and starting to create a new image. For example, taking one letter crop, and trying another letter with it.

type_third  Third_TransferringfromSecond

While I worked, I began to get a bit more excited about the Arabic letters, because I started to see how appealing they were. All the curves and shapes that they made were activating very interesting shapes, in my opinion.

This collection found more complex shapes, created by the use of letters, which made the work much more interesting to look at.

These are the solutions I came up with at this stage.


During the critique this time, my work was exemplified for many wrongdoings.

  1. Firstly, I used a black background – which I was accused for ‘cheating’ for – I didn’t know at this point
  2. There was also the problem of using the background as a solution for the 50/50, in other words, too much reliance.

I created quite a lot, but I understood after the critique that I was closer last time, more so than this time. But, it wasn’t wasted time because the crops of the letters were useful to use again and edit in the next one.


The top one is one I chose to talk about. After the last critique, this is the approach that I misunderstood I was supposed to take. a kind of visually interesting 50/50 with intertwining letters. However, after this critique, I understood that this was wrong – the 50/50 was not achieved through the letters, it wasn’t even 50/50, it was only clear on what the letters were.

My work was criticised for several reasons this time. I was criticised for “cheating” per say for having the black background instead of a white one. The bottom with the E and h was criticised for not being 50/50 through the letters.

More than I thought, the critiques were very useful, they really helped both clarify, and confuse (in a good way), or rather get right the wrongs in a good way.

This critique really clarified things for me.

This was a problem that was greatly clarified through the talk of the professors about everyone’s work, that this example below, was very wrong.

Also, one thing to note again, is that when we get mentioned about how a letter form should show spaces to show the dots, it makes it very hard to use letters, and I think this made it very hard for me. It was something I had to particularly think about when choosing letters, because I had this continuous thinking at the back of my mind that if there was no dot, I didn’t need a space – which is wrong.

Two that I really enjoyed this time were these below. However, they face the issue of 50/50 – in terms of showing too much of the background to cover up for the lack of the black letter.

There were three things we summarized to need:

  1. 50/50
  2. Recognition
  3. Aesthetic

Having to consider all of this seemed very overwhelming, but it clarified things so very much. And even when I think about it now, though I was stressed in the beginning because I had no idea what I was doing, I feel like knowing this now, and not right off the bat, helps us really learn and think about exactly what we are doing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s