TypeI: ProjectII: Maze (WordDismal) Results & Critique

Then I kept working on the word during the weekend.

 

I also realized on Saturday morning casually, that I cut off a slice from my finger, just enough that I wasn’t bleeding, but clearly a line. It was a small bit, but I was dumbfounded that I didn’t know I just cut off completely a bit of my skin. Just to make Leland happy :3.

These are the three stages that I went through:

3xprocess

1. Drawing out a maze

2. Tracing the maze on the other side

3. Tracing the maze onto actual foam board

 

This is me trying my best to erase, so that I wouldn’t hear that I left pencil marks!

erasing

This is a timelapse for my working.

This is the word, by itself:

dismal_justword

Then after I finished the word, I planned again to create some bits that came out, taking Law and Lelands suggestions. I worked back into the word. I tried choosing three places (the magic three), and also added bits to some more places so that there was a bit more variation to the shapes. However, when I finished, I felt like something was lacking. It felt like it need something more. Especially, because it didn’t feel like three places that made your eyes move around.

mazedebateadding

Therefore, I decided to add this little bit on the bottom right corner. I debated where to put this, but I ended up putting it there because I felt that putting it on the top wouldn’t be good, and if I put it on the right, it felt like I was putting too much on the left, and if so I felt as though I’d have the make the top separate maze bigger. So I created it on the right bottom corner. Then, I was able to create this sense of eye movement.

Now I faced the issue of photography.

 

I took an image at first with the lighting at home. I tried different angles of shadows and thought about how best to go about it.

These were the two that I felt I wanted to show in this class:

background

I had the first image because I liked how it went from light to dark, because I felt it expressed a slow progression of dismal feeling. However, I also felt that the type wasn’t very clear in it. Which was probably the agreement and reasoning that everyone agreed on this one for.

photo_2

When Law told me that mine had issues, my mine went gradually blank and blank. I kept having to think about what exactly is wrong. I began to think is it too white? Too plain? Should I have added a context? I panicked, because I couldn’t see what to add to it.

But, it wasn’t that, it was the issue of how best to reproduce the word as image. Therefore, I faced and am facing the issue of photography mainly. An issue of lighting. I discussed later, and received the suggestion that I should use diffused light from both sides and one main light.

We had a discussion on how to take images with a tripod, but also had one about the idea of context.

I felt it was important to create a self-note about how the context should be set up in a way that best suits the work. Therefore, in mine, I didn’t need one. But, it made sense in a lot of other people to create a natural context, to tell a story about the type, the word, and why it would be in this context.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s