TypeI: ProjectII: PartII: Options of Type

I first had to ask my friends about the typefaces of Naskh and Kufi, but I went online and checked to refresh myself on what exactly was difference, and which fonts were exactly correct to each category:

smaller_3


While I was making these prints, I made so many small mistakes, that made the work so much more tedious and difficult.

Some problems:

  1. At first, I printed, and I realized the text box was shorter than the length of the sentence, so some of it cut off.
  2. Making mistakes for the first one consisted in all the other ones, so I had to fix the numbers every single time. For example, I hadn’t changed some of the 14/14 (which is the one I created first) to the other numbers (8,9,10,11,12). I only noticed this after I had adjusted all the other fonts… So I had to change it for every single one.
  3. Arabic was funky because it goes the opposite way. But adding english numbers made it do weird back and forth between the languages. It made me more confused.
  4. The typeface wasn’t being read, and I found out after I finished, but it was because each text has a different “Roman,” “Regular,” “Medium,” for each font under the family, and because it wasn’t specified, it was reading a problem.

smaller_6


layer-1

I continuously liked the same:

  1. Character count: 45 (because the sentence cuts fine, and it was almost exactly half)
  2. Tracking: 0 (-: some letters were too close, +: I didn’t understand why I felt it was odd the critique, but it was weird because the readability of it was harder)

smaller_8

  1. Alignment: left for english, right for arabic (Just found myself asking why would I align it differently, when this is the normal way to read it – just had no reason at this point)

As for the parts after, I found myself liking interchanging italics, regular, as well as the small caps.

I found italics good for the serif typefaces, but awkward for the san-serif typefaces. I also liked the small caps better than the all caps because it looked cute, no matter how weird that sounds. I felt bold was more than often too much.


After all these problems were resolved however, I printed all the documents. I noticed that I had done the 14, but 14/16.6 or something of the like. I had not changed the leading…

layer-0

Therefore I had to go back to change all of them and reprint, because I felt this was too big of a mistake to just go over.

But I noticed that letters became too close and questioned why we would be asked to do this if so, but either way, I did it.

smaller_3

 

(In Arabic, the dots below and the letter lines that went upwards were too close to each other, when the leading became equal to the font, not for all typefaces though, there were some exceptions)

 


I also found this funky thing happening with the transition from indesign to the printer. It was translating the font weirdly, when it wasn’t like that on the file.Therefore, I had to save it onto a pdf file and reprint.

background2


This was an interesting exercise, that made me really see and experience that there are all these tiny details and changes in type we can make, which we need to be aware of, in order to take advantage of them.

It also, really showed how different typefaces took different lengths and gave off a different mood.

I began to understand why we would use a random sentence – because that way I wasn’t focusing on the content at all, it was all about form and shape – I think it helped me.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s