These are the different ways in which I was working with the paragraphs, sometimes I used squares, which reflected the size of the text from the top to bottom of two main texts.
Or sometimes, I repeated the same paragraph multiple times, and chose one of the places that I felt worked best, in doing so, I could achieve better placement, without always using the same kind of grid lines:
This was me comparing font sizes, I generally liked the smaller font size, for one reason or other. Here I was playing with the message on how it says you have “to stay afloat on top of it,” and so I made the rest of the text blue, to represent water (kind of).
These are some of the things I did. One of the things I played with was paragraph breaking and placement on the page:
This was my attempt at breaking the paragraph into fours:
I played with breaking the paragraph in to two’s, by the use of columns, up and down, a staircase shape. I felt breaking it into worked, because there was a sense of the paragraph having a sense of a break between the two lines.
I tried playing with rags, as the natural rag had a tendency to make the never stick out, I made it more prominent, because it was a nice contrast to the paragraph that was taking about achievement:
We talked about how the length of paragraphs should not be too long or short, as it is difficult for the reader’s eye. I began to understand what this meant, as I was having a difficult time reading through the work, it was the same with too short of a line length. I think when I got to experience really looking at it and reading it multiple times, I began to understand when I would get annoyed reading something, in comparison to another. So the multiple prints helped us.
Then I tried to play with the paragraph according to what it was saying, a bit more:
I played with emphasis on the paragraphs first line. Because I felt it best represented the paragraph:
I tried to put focus on happiness as well, because it was the word opposite to dismal, and it represented what the paragraphs main focus was on: achieving happiness.
This was an attempt at playing with the book title, or source credit, that reads “Eat, Pray, Love,” because I felt it was a contrast with dismal, so it worked if it was emphasized, therefore I decided to drop it down like so:
Then during the critique…
There was the discussion of rags, how the left one looks like someone bit a bit out of it, and how the one on the right looks like the shape of a thumb. When I first brought these to class, I thought I brought them to class, whilst I had consideration for the rags, but I understood better what natural rags were more likely supposed to look like.
This was the only justified text I did, and it had some rivers, thought not tooooo badd. But we were told not to use justified at all.
These were some other attempts I felt just didn’t work, they were simply experiments in the end. Mainly because I felt that the ways in which I was putting the text together in a particular way, had no meaning or added nothing to the message of the paragraph, even more so when I printed it, therefore becoming gimmicks.
I think whenever I work with type, I learn that we need to be very subtle and very intentional. Because gimmicks are very hard to produce. Also, type is very fickle in that because it is meant to be read and therefore put to use, we cannot make it confusing for people to read. I really feel that simple, but thought out plays with type is enough and best to do with type.